I hope you're ok. The trip was looooooooooong. But Quatar Airways is the best. They over feed you and have 100s of movies, games, songs etc. You can't be bored. If ever you can, try fly by them sometime! We arrived safely on Tuesday and have been trying to sort out admin (housing, permits, registration etc) I just managed to get internet access today. Hopefully, I'll have internet in my room by the end of the week.
Nothing much has happened yet. We've figured out how to use the trains, subways and buses and also got a ticket from the City that allows us to travel for free. So we don't have to pay for any movement within the city! I'm still trying to find a cinema, apparently Tuesday is half price day here as well. I don't have a cell number but hope to get one by he end of the week. The prices here are so deceptive, everything seems to be 2/3/6 euro. It seems so little until u think about it and realise that a meal at 2 euro is about UGX6000!! That's what I paid for a hotdog!
The International Office here is very helpful, much better than the one at UCT. They got us a buddy to help with all the admin. So now we have bank accounts, we are registered at the University and are officially residents of Stuttgart. Now all we need to do is pay for the accommodation and go shopping. There's a small supermarket on campus but it has basics and no soap!!! I wonder how they expect us to wash and bath (it does have cleaning liquid, for floors and kitchens!).
I have four other flatmates. One German, a Russian, some one from Asia and I don't know where the other is from. My travel partner and I were put in different dorms. I guess they're trying to help us learn more about the university without depending too much on each other. Thankfully, everyone else has been here since October so they have all the pots and pans and crockery that I'll ever need. I don't have to buy anything. We've got a tiny fridge (smaller than in my SA flat) which means I can't over shop, which is a good thing. No one seems to cook much so the fridge so full of milk and microwave meals. There are loads of 'cheap' diners on campus but they all close early so I can't depend on them for dinner. There's a fruit market in the little town close to the Uni. Hopefully I can go there on Sat for some fruits and veggies.
We start work tomorrow. That promises to be another adventure on the subway. I hope we can find it.
I have to go now. We're off to get our money for November :-)
cheers
love you
Clara
p.s. There's cell tonight. Pray I can find it, in spite of my very faulty German!
No comments:
Post a Comment