Lausanne. It's a city by the lake, a lot like our home town, except that once you cross this lake, you get to climb the Alps, not just the 7 hills of Kampala. There's a great picture of us on a boat, sailing into the horizon, with the mountains as our background on a clear sunny day. Switzerland was kind to us.
Everyone seemed to own a bicycle. That was a strange notion for an African child coming from a country where everyone was trying to buy the fanciest car they could afford. Most Swiss citizens were strangely comfortable with just a train ticket and a bicycle. That was all they needed to roam their streets. I remember now that the photo of Ivan praying in a church must have been taken in Lausanne. That grande cathedral gave such a feeling of awe that you felt that you owed God a word or to.
Anne-Marie and Francois are friends of Mummy's. I do not remember the connection though. I think it was something to do with work. They live in the French speaking bit of Switzerland. I learnt that there is a German bit and another bit that speaks Italian and a really small bit speaks Romansh. This was B.G [Before Google] or at least before it became an international phenomenon. Facts like this had to be gathered in the home of the facts or from a citizen of said home. Anne-Marie and Francois were our Swiss hosts.
I remember that we had a lovely walk by the shore before we got onto the boat. I think there was a market. I love flea and craft markets. I could spend days in them. I never buy much. The thrill is in knowing that people are capable of making the trinkets they sell.
We ended up in those mountains in the background. I do not remember the details. But there is a photo of us running [up or down?] the mountain, playing in the snow. I am a little on the strange side with the iron content in my blood. [Once had a doctor worried that I was pregnant because of it. Crazy dude insisted that I was having a miscarriage even though my urine test was negative!] This visit is probably where I discovered the pull to ice and snow as a result of the iron deficiency. Snow is better than ice because it is both chewy and earthy.
![]() |
| Photo credit: https://www.mcgill.ca/students/international/epfl |
Anne-Marie and Francois are friends of Mummy's. I do not remember the connection though. I think it was something to do with work. They live in the French speaking bit of Switzerland. I learnt that there is a German bit and another bit that speaks Italian and a really small bit speaks Romansh. This was B.G [Before Google] or at least before it became an international phenomenon. Facts like this had to be gathered in the home of the facts or from a citizen of said home. Anne-Marie and Francois were our Swiss hosts.
I remember that we had a lovely walk by the shore before we got onto the boat. I think there was a market. I love flea and craft markets. I could spend days in them. I never buy much. The thrill is in knowing that people are capable of making the trinkets they sell.
We ended up in those mountains in the background. I do not remember the details. But there is a photo of us running [up or down?] the mountain, playing in the snow. I am a little on the strange side with the iron content in my blood. [Once had a doctor worried that I was pregnant because of it. Crazy dude insisted that I was having a miscarriage even though my urine test was negative!] This visit is probably where I discovered the pull to ice and snow as a result of the iron deficiency. Snow is better than ice because it is both chewy and earthy.

Talk of ICE, we need to get that freezer for the Dogs food so that you can get the fridge back for your ice
ReplyDeleteYes. Def. Mos def.
Delete